Benchmark your BizTalk Server (Part 2)

Published 10 January 10 11:00 AM | wmmihaa

This post describes the installation process for the BizTalk Benchmark Wizard application. For more information read part 1.

The complete installation will include the following components:

• BizTalk Benchmark wizard – The client tool from which you will run the tests
  • Three Hosts – BBW_RxHost, BBW_PxHost, BBW_TxHost
  • Three Host Instances
  • Two Adapter handlers for NetTcp
  • One BizTalk Application
  • Two Receive Ports
  • Two Send Hosts
  • One Orchestration

The installation process

Download the bits from Codeplex, and proceed with the normal installation. As the setup completes, your first step would be to install the BizTalk artifacts. These artifacts are the BizTalk components and bindings which makes up the testing scenarios. This is a two step process as you need to set up the hosts before you import the bindings.

BizTalk environment

You can run the scenarios on either a single-server installation or a two server installation. Regardless of the number of BizTalk servers in you group, you should not run it with more than two “active” servers, as it will otherwise not be covered by the benchmark values.

image
 image

1. Setup Hosts, Instances and Adapter handlers

The hosts, instances and handlers are created through running a script. You need to run the script file using “cscript” as shown below, and I apologize in advance to the poor error messages you might run into.

1. Open an command prompt window and navigate to [Installation folder]\Artefacts\BizTalk. By default, the installation folder is “C:\Program Files\Blogical\BizTalk Benchmark Wizard”.

2. In the BizTalk folder you’ll find a InstallHosts.vbs file. Execute it using the following parameters:

NTGroupName - The name of the Windows NT group.
          UserName – The name of the user account running the service instances.
          Password – The password of the user account running the service instances.
          Receive Host – The name of the server where you want to run the receive host instance.
          Send Host - The name of the server where you want to run the sen host instance.
          Processing Host - The name of the server where you want to run the process host instance.

If you have a single box installation, your script command might look like this:

cscript InstallHosts.vbs "BizTalk Application Users" “\MyUser” “MyPassword” “BtsServer1” “BtsServer1” “BtsServer1”

If you have a multi server installation, your script command might look like this:

cscript InstallHosts.vbs "MyDomain\BizTalk Application Users" “MyDomain\MyUser” “MyPassword” “BtsServer1” “BtsServer2” “BtsServer2”

Running this script will create:

• Three hosts (BBW_RxHost, BBW_TxHost and BBW_PxHost)
        • Three host instances
        • One send and one receive adapter handler for the WCF NetTcp adapter.

2. Import BizTalk MSI

1. Open the BizTalk Administration Console, point to the “Applications” node and import the BizTalk Benchmark Wizard.msi found in the same folder as the scripts above.

This will create a “BizTalk Benchmark Wizard” application along with all ports and orchestrations.

2. Finally, run the BizTalk Benchmark Wizard.msi on all BizTalk servers to add the assemblies to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC).

Done, click [Start]-> [All Programs]->[BizTalk Application Wizard] - [BizTalk Application Wizard] to start the application.

Related articles:

Benchmark your BizTalk Server (Part 3) by Ewan Fairweather

Good luck!

Filed under: , , ,

Comments

# robsteel said on January 13, 2010 01:44 PM:

The download link on codeplex isn't working

# wmmihaa said on January 14, 2010 12:15 AM:

It works for me. Please get back to me if you're still having problems.

//Mikael

# Scott Banwart's Blog » Blog Archive » Distributed Weekly 33 said on January 15, 2010 02:21 PM:

Pingback from  Scott Banwart's Blog  » Blog Archive   » Distributed Weekly 33

# Balbir Singh said on February 3, 2010 05:59 PM:

When I run installhost.vbs I get the following error:-

Host - BBW_RxHost - has been created successfully

Instance of the WMI class is not found.

No instance was found with the specified key.  This could be the result of the i

nstance being deleted by another BizTalk Admin session.(HRESULT: 0).

# wmmihaa said on February 3, 2010 07:57 PM:

Balbir: Was this the second time you've runned the script? If so, make sure to remove all previously installed BBW* hosts and instances. -Also, remove the 2 adapter handlers if created for the WCF-netTcp adapter.

Get back to me if you still have problems

# Balbir Singh said on February 4, 2010 04:23 PM:

Hi: It happened the first time. Since then I've cleared down as suggested and repeated several times, same error. It created the host, but then failed when trying to create the host instance. In the end I created the host instances manually, and modified the scripts to skip that bit

# Mark Brimble said on February 16, 2010 12:51 AM:

Hi: I am getting this error "Unable to find PerfMon Counter. Make sure all BBW* host instances are started. If you lost the counters, this post might help you recover counters:\n<"blogs.msdn.com/.../how-to-manually-recreate-missing-biztalk-performance-counters.aspx". I have recreated the perfromance counters but still no luck. Do you have any others suggestions about what to llok at  look at? P.S. Great tool. I got it ot work on our DEV box but now trying to benchmark our production server b4 go live it seems I am missing something.

# Balbir Singh said on February 26, 2010 06:07 PM:

HI: I'm getting the same error "Unable to find PerfMon Counter. Make sure all BBW* host instances are started. If you lost the counters, this post might help you recover counters:\n<"blogs.msdn.com/.../how-to-manually-recreate-missing-biztalk-performance-counters.aspx".  on our production boxes. All the performance counters have been recreated, still same error. Does this tool work in a production environment ?

# wmmihaa said on February 27, 2010 12:10 AM:

Sometimes, for some unknown reason, some permon counters disapears. To make sure this is the problem, run perfmon and see if the counters are there. If they are not, use this link to re-create them: http://tinyurl.com/y8bzne2. If you still have a problem contact me on msn or email (through the blog), and I'd be happy to help out.

# Benchmark my VPC | SOA Governance - Service Oriented Architecture - SOA Business - SOA Design - SOA Services - SOA Software - SOA Solutions - SOA Security - SOA Web Service said on March 25, 2010 01:11 AM:

Pingback from  Benchmark my VPC | SOA Governance - Service Oriented Architecture  - SOA Business - SOA Design - SOA Services - SOA Software - SOA Solutions - SOA Security - SOA Web Service

# Jeroen Bossenbroek said on October 14, 2010 01:58 PM:

Hi there,

Thanks for your tool and all the information you provide! really good work!

When i run the tool i get this error:

"Unable to find PerfMon Counter. Make sure all BBW* host instances are started. If you lost the counters, this post might help you recover counters:\n<"blogs.msdn.com/.../how-to-manually-recreate-missing-biztalk-performance-counters.aspx". I have recreated the performance counters. but still get the same error.

I run 64 bit windows server 2008 R2 datacenter

to recreate the performance counters i used the InstallUtil.exe  in both the framework as the framework64 directory

I really could use some help here.

Thanks

regards,

Jeroen

# wmmihaa said on October 14, 2010 02:09 PM:

Jeroen,

perhaps it would be easier to do this over IM or mail. You can reach me at [wmmihaa at hot mail dot com] or through the blog.

//Mikael

# Austin said on February 9, 2011 03:32 PM:

Hi

Did anybody get to the bottom of the 'Perf Mon' issue?

I was able to run this fine on a dev server but ran into the 'Perf Mon' issue on our new production one.

I can see the Biztalk performance monitors fine. Is it some security issue for the account running the Biztalk service?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Austin

# Austin said on February 9, 2011 05:25 PM:

Hi Mikael

Does this Benchmarking tool work with Windows 2008 R2 and BizTalk 2010?

I wonder if this Perf Mon error message relates to incompatibility on these versions.

Cheers

Austin

# wmmihaa said on February 9, 2011 10:44 PM:

I've been running several tests on Win2008R2 and BTS2010. It all works fine.

We can take it over mail if you want:

[wmmihaa at hot mail dot com]

# buy sustanon said on April 3, 2011 02:28 AM:

Straight to the point and well written! Why can’t everyone else be like this?

# AswadKannax said on April 20, 2011 04:21 PM:

Hi - I am really delighted to discover this. great job!

# adi said on December 16, 2011 05:36 PM:

When initiating the test runs I get this error message:

Unable to start collector set {srvrname_SQL_Server}

Error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Anybody seen this before?

# Adi said on December 16, 2011 06:14 PM:

Is anyone getting this error or seen it before.

1 Biztalk Server, 1 SQL server environment.

An error has occured.

Unable to start collector set [ServerName_SQL_Server]

Error:

Any help is appriciated.

# Chuck said on April 17, 2012 08:47 PM:

Trying to run the install script and getting error that the format of the account name is not valid. Here is my line:

cscript installhosts.vbs "BizTalk Application Users" domain\chuck "password" BTSServer1 BTSServer1 BTSServer1

I have tried both local and domain accounts and none of them appear to be working. Any suggestions?

# wmmihaa said on April 17, 2012 09:43 PM:

The "BizTalk Application Users" group is a local group. As you're using a domain account, you need to use a domain group.

MVP - Microsoft Most Valuable Professional BizTalk User Group Sweden BizTalk blogdoc

Follow me on Twitter Meet me at TechEd

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in anyway.